180 NEW ABORIGINAL MHFAiders
Updated: Mar 12, 2022
Wow - what a year.
Yesterday I faciliated workshop 20 of 20 the ‘Ngayiny wirimbirra’ (Wiradjuri: take care of mind)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid workshops that were sponsored by the Victorian State Governments’ COVID 19 Funds.
180 First Nations people and a number of non-Indigenous allies from Victoria participated in mental health literacy programs of:
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA blended course
- Let’s talk about suicide: AMHFA
- Let’s talk about NSSI: AMHFA
- Let’s talk about Gambling: AMHFA
We want to thank a number of organisations for getting community involved:
- Mullum Mullum Indigenous Gathering Place
- Derrimut Weelam Gathering Place
- GMAR Grandmothers Against Removal
- Lake Tyers Health and Chldrens’ Services
- Sunbury Aboriginal corporation
- Yoowinna Wurnalung Aboriginal Healing Services
Due to COVID restrictions many of these workshops (besides the Gambling, NSSI and Suicide) were conducted via virtual mode - often a difficult and challenging time and environment- but with strength and good will we made it through.
Thanks for all the hard work everyone who made this such a wonderful experience.
Feedback has been amazing.